Could you be on the VSG Management Board?
VSG is now recruiting four members to join its Management Board. Information on what the role involves and how you can put yourself forward is outlined below.
“As a member focused organisation, being a VSG Board member represents a great opportunity to get involved in the strategic direction of this vital sector group. The Board are welcoming and everyone is given a chance to positively input at meetings.”
Head of Safety Management, WWT
What is required?
A commitment to attend at least three of the four board meetings and workshops (currently webinars), held each year, for a three-year term. When workshops safely resume, board meetings will usually occupy the full day before a workshop (this often entails staying the night before.) Board members are also expected to stay overnight and be available to members at the networking dinners that precede the workshops.
What would you do?
The management board controls finances, plans all meetings, agrees topics to be covered and directs the work of the chairperson. Board members must have a good knowledge of VSG’s work and ethos and be willing to contribute to VSG business between meetings.
- Help establish, maintain and keep relevant the VSG’s objectives and purpose and ensure the group remains sustainable;
- Act as an ambassador and promote the VSG and as the Exemplar Industry Best Practice body for managing visitor safety;
- Represent the membership and act in the interests of the Group
- Be responsible for ensuring the 3-year VSG Action Plans are delivered
- Mentor host organisations who wish to hold member events and board meetings. The Board will be supported by the Secretariat in the organisation and administration of each event.
- Be responsible for ensuring 2 workshops and 4 member webinars are delivered in each calendar year, themed to address current and relevant visitor safety management issues (delegating the appropriate organisation and administration to the Secretariat);
- Participate in and attend a minimum of 3 Management Board Meetings as well as 3 workshops or webinars per year;
- Set, agree and approve annual and project budgets, both income and expenditure;
- Delegate the function to manage day to day finances to the Secretariat;
- Through your networks and as part of Management Board initiatives, ensure best endeavours to promote, recruit and approve new memberships to the VSG;
- Offer up material and scenarios of Case Law, and work with Co-opted and Contracted Functions to develop case studies;
- Continuously review the VSG and the board’s performance, leading change as required to ensure its policies, practices, functions and structure remain current and effective;
- On occasion be invited to represent VSG at additional specific site visits or meetings which are relevant to the VSG’s business.
How do I stand for election?
All VSG member organisations are eligible to stand for the board, but only person from an organisation should be nominated. Expressions of interest in becoming a board member should be emailed to Elizabeth Annett (email@example.com) on the Secretariat Team before 16:00 on Friday 17th February 2023. If you want further information about what is involved, contact Ken Dodd the VSG Chairman (firstname.lastname@example.org).